Tuesday, June 3

pulling teeth

I had a dentist appt few weeks back. Last two times I was there I was pregnant so they couldn’t take any xrays. So finally at this last visit they did and get this…they found 3 cavities! I was expecting one…two tops, but not 3. One is on a tooth on the bottom and in the back on the left side and the other two are on my wisdom teeth on the right side. I had the left tooth filled yesterday so that one is all set. Dentist said its best to just pull out the wisdom teeth with the other cavities. My wisdom teeth otherwise are not causing any problems. In fact she was impressed with how straight they had come in. So now I have to decide what I want to do. I’m little scared about getting the teeth pulled. For one thing I get tired of keeping my jaw open for more than 15 minutes and the procedure would take 1-1.5 hrs. Second thing is that since the bottom tooth is a little set in they would have to make a cut on the gum to get to the tooth which means I’d get stitches. And recovering from that doesn’t sound like fun. Third thing is I like my wisdom teeth…I mean isn’t it a waste to remove them if they aren’t bothering the other teeth? And couldn’t she just do a filling on them? I’m pretty sure she’s too lazy to do the fillings. Anyone have any experience with getting wisdom teeth pulled? Any advice for me?

3 comments:

Nisha said...

I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled due to a couple of very suddenly painful cavities. I had the general anesthesia and I was knocked out the whole time. I don't remember any part of the procedure. I think I had a couple of stitches but they were the kind that dissolve and so I didn't have to go back to take them out or anything. Recovery time was about a full day. I was surprised how good I felt the next day. Of course it was a little sore but definitely less than I expected. Maybe you can ask her again why your wisdom teeth can't just be filled. If she's still able to convince you to pull them, don't worry too much, it's not too bad. I would recommend the full anesthesia though. :)

Anonymous said...

I had 3 wisdom teeth removed and also had a general anesthetic. I actually had a long recovery from that -- it was a couple weeks before I could eat normal food again. Getting them pulled might help avoid more problems later though (e.g. root canal).

Anonymous said...

I had four pulled at the same time. I was given exact same reason that they are hurting my other tooth and I met atleast 5 other ppl after I did it whose dentist told them same reason for pulling teeth. Pulling out wisdom teeth is easy money making for dentist. Also its wisdom teeth so we are not really losing anything except money!!

Try to imagine having 2 holes in your gums for few weeks after that!! It hurts for initial couple of day and pretty much liquid diet works. Pain killers help a lot. I ended up taking 1 day off from work. I have heard ppl take upto 3-4 days off for this.

Dont be nervous .. just do it!! Yes full anesthesia is recommended . but then confirm with insurance that they will pay for it even if its just two and not all four. Good luck