It was a big weekend at the Shah residence. On Saturday we invited some family over for dinner. We hadn’t invited them over in awhile and we were waiting for the in-laws to be here. So finally past weekend worked out. The menu went like this…we had strawberry milk shake as what Neha calls ‘Welcome drinks’. The main dish was Idli-sambhar, rasam-vada and dosa with coconut chutney. For dessert we had rass-gula and ice-cream. These are all typical south Indian dishes that the in-laws decided on...do you see why I think of them as south Indian? There was a lot of food, and it was good.
Backing up a bit, there were 2 other reasons for inviting the family besides ‘it’s been awhile’. First, it was Deesh(my sister) and Vipul(her husband)’s ‘vaynu’ dinner. Basically, it’s a dinner for the newlyweds. Although, Deesh and Vipul have been married for awhile and they have also had dinner at our place before…this was the official vaynu. Second, we did a mini naming ceremony for Diya. It is a traditional ceremony when the fai (in this case Neha) holds the newborn and rocks him/her in all four directions then placing him/her in a blanket and officially ‘names the baby’. I can’t really explain it all, but we have it on video. Although, Diya is no longer a newborn and she has already been given her name we wanted to do it for fun. Plus, Neha was so excited about finally getting her rightful chance as a fai we couldn’t let her down. I think everyone enjoyed…especially Diya.


So that was Saturday. Sunday was Father’s Day. It was pretty low-key. I got Diya ready in her ‘I Love Daddy’ top. Daddy and grand-daddy absolutely loved it. We took bunch of photos. Since we had leftovers from the day before we didn’t have much to cook so we spent most of the day out. We made a stop at iParty for some decorations for Diya’s first bday party. They have such cute stuff. We ate out and returned home where Premal packed. Packed for what you ask? He has another trip to Jacksonville, FL this time. He left today and won’t be back ‘till Wednesday after next…it’s a week and half long trip, his longest yet. Thank God his parents are here so I don’t have to be alone or make any arrangements.
Diya is almost 11 months old. I will be doing a seperate post for that later this week.
1 comment:
How come I did not know about the reasons for the dinner? I was only told it was because "everyone hadn't been over in a while"
Now I feel really under dressed for the dinner.
Post a Comment