
Yesterday was a friend of ours 30th birthday. Her husband had arranged all of us to surprise her at a restaurant. He selected a Tibetan restaurant. It was first time I had this kind of food. We went to a place called Rangzen Tibet in Cambridge. So what did I think?
Pros:
-Lots of vegetarian options. See menu here. This is always a big plus in my book. There is a whole section for veggies and almost any other dish can be made vegetarian. I hate when a restaurant has only 1 or 2 options for people like me.
-Their food has a lot of Indian hint to it. I like Indian food so this was another plus. In fact my order, Momo dumplings, was served with our famous 'Green Chutney' and 'Tomato Chutney' and a soup that tasted very much like daal. Premal's order(Shago Meto Chumma) looked just like our cauliflower and potato saak. That was served with white rice and a side salad made of peices of apples, tomatoes and best of all mangos mixed with Italian dressing. There was even Mango lassi on the menu.
-Price was not bad. It was not as cheap as taco bell of course, but not as expensive as Indian food either. Cost was reasonable.
Cons:
-Yes, there was lots of Indian hint to the food, but the taste was little bland. Nothing was spicy it was very much in need of some salt and chilli masala. My dish was still okay with the chutney, but Premal's had no hope without the hot sauce. Though he managed to make it taste decent.
-Small place. It was a very small restaurant that fit maybe 35 people max. If it was just 2 of us it would have been fine, but we were a big group and took up most of the tables there.
-Location was very shady. It was in an alley with very little lighting and strange people. Yes, we were almost in Boston so it is little expected, but I would not feel safe walking down that street by myself at night.
Overall:
So would I go there again??....answer would be 'no'. I don't think I would ever crave that kind of food and it isn't worth going. But I'm glad to have tired it at least.
5 comments:
You should've had something that had like bread or grains, such as pasta. I think that is what Tibetian food is known for.
oh i was looking forward to go there but last para kinda got me thinking again. i already book marked it to show the menu to jaan so we can go .humm now i gotta think,.
its not that bad... and you should go there atleast once, just to say that you've experienced Tibetan food :) sure it was a lil bland (nothing a bit of hot sauce cant cure), but the major flaw with our plan was that it was like maybe 13 of us and this place is not meant for big parties.
I think you should all still try it out. Don't go in a huge group and be sure to ask them to make the dish spicy. I tired some of the food the others had and it was not as bad as mine. I had some veggies from someone's chicken dish and it was really good.
Nightfox, I believe Tibetan food is famous for their dumplings also known as 'Momo'. If you go, try the one that is served with soup. (The one I had were dry.)
ok i guess then we will go try out sometime. thanks for info
Post a Comment